Monday, April 26, 2010

Do you have a PLN?

Next month I will be offering another round of workshops across the district. Although I am finalizing the topics that I will cover, there is one topic I am confident will be included. I plan on offering a workshop that is focused on developing a "Personal Learning Network". The idea of a personal learning network is not new. We have always surrounded ourselves with people that we can share learning experiences with. What has changed are the tools available. The reach of this network and the diversity of the network have developed because of the technology available today.

"If you're new to this world, personal learning networks are created by an individual learner, specific to the learner’s needs extending relevant learning connections to like-interested people around the globe. PLNs provide individuals with learning and access to leaders and experts around the world bringing together communities, resources and information impossible to access solely from within school walls."(Lisa Nielsen, The innovative Educator)

My personal PLN has become my most powerful teaching tool.  By utilizing web 2.o tools and social network i have joined a network of educators around the world. Every day that I access my PLN I learn something new. I am excited to share this with you during my workshops in May. In the meantime there are few things that you can do to start developing a PLN.

1. Register for a Google Account - www.google.com

2. Create a Google Reader Account www.google.com/reader

3. Learn about RSS feeds by taking my online Moodle Course which can be found under professional development - http://blogs.jefftwp.org/moodle

Stay tuned for my May workshop calendar.  The above steps will get you started in the meantime.

Enjoy!

No comments: